¡Vamos a aprender español!
Introduction to Spanish
Introductory Spanish classes are open to all current LCS members. Membership must be active to enroll and must remain active for the duration of each class. Classes are designed for individuals without any Spanish language background. The instructor will introduce learners to Spanish pronunciation, some vocabulary and social protocols. Class sizes are kept to a maximum of 12 students with a minimum of four students.
Spanish in Action (Español en Acción)
Spanish in Action classes are open to all current LCS members. Again, membership must be active to enroll and must remain active for the duration of each class.
In 2020, LCS updated its Spanish language curriculum by beginning a transition to a new program known as Spanish in Action (Español en Acción). Maestra Alicia Ordóñez is the developer of this course for LCS. She has 40 years of experience in teaching Spanish as a Second Language. She was a teacher and head of the department of Spanish as a second language at the Autonomous University of Guadalajara (UAG). She has been office administrator, and Spanish Department Head of International Language Center, San Antonio, TX. She has taught Spanish to executives of Mitsubishi and other Japanese companies. She is the creator of the courses and materials that the UAG uses in its Spanish classes.
In 2021, the LCS will offer six terms of seven weeks each during the calendar year. Two 2-hour class sessions will be scheduled each week of the term. Courses at four levels of difficulty will be available. Each course will have two parts to keep the course content manageable.
Spanish in Action Details
Spanish A La Carta
This is a new online program from LCS for its members, learners and practitioners of Spanish. Our offer includes advanced and intermediate level conversation sessions. Sessions with specific grammar topics and sessions to improve listening comprehension and pronunciation. For some classes, some material will be sent over email prior to the class for you to read so that your participation is smooth and you can get the most out of it. Spanish A La Carta classes are open to all current LCS members. Again, membership must be active to enroll and must remain active for the duration of each class.
Each program will consist of 2 or more ZOOM sessions of about 70 minutes each. The cost for each package varies, depending on the number of sessions.Students may enroll on-line and pay the tuition using a banckcard.
Class sizes for all packages are limited to 9 persons.
Spanish A La Carta Sessions in February - March
The Wilkes Education Center (WEC)
Galeana 18, Ajijic
Monday to Saturday
Class times vary throughout the day
Phone: (376) 766-1140
Spanish in Action / Course Syllabus
During the course, four language skills will be worked on: reading comprehension, listening comprehension, oral expression, and written expression. Grammar structures and vocabularies are taught in a practical and communicative way, as well as authentic and fun.
The final objective of this course is: the student will be able to express himself in the following situations with the present and future tenses.
* Communicate basic needs: food, shopping, space.
* Talk about your mood and those of others.
* Give and ask for the time.
* Express obligation.
* Describe everyday objects, people and routines.
* Handle things properly and with confidence in a restaurant or in the city.
* Personal subject pronouns.
* Verb "ser" in the present tense.
* Interrogative words.
* Verb "estar" in the present.
* Present tense of the regular verbs
* Contrast of the verbs "ser and estar".
* Particle “hay” (There is, there are).
* Verb "tener" in the present tense.
* Verbs "poder" and "querer" in the present tense.
* Possessive and demonstrative adjectives.
* Useful phrases.
* Characteristics and qualities.
* The family and the house.
* Numbers, date and time.
* Fruits and vegetables.
* Speaking of the family.
* Discuss your house
* How much does it cost?
* In the market.
Required: Workbook 1
* Verb "tener que" in the present tense.
* Verbs "gustar", "caer bien / mal" and "doler" in the present tense.
* Present progressive.
* Verb "ir" in the present tense.
* Future tense (colloquial): "ir a + verb in infinitive".
* Irregular verbs in the present.
* Irregular verbs by adding “g”, “ig”, “z” and “y” in the present tense.
* Special verbs in the present tense.
* Direct object pronouns.
* Indirect object names.
* The restaurant and meals.
* The body.
* The clothes.
* The doctor and medications.
* The city.
* At the restaurant.
* At the department store.
* At the doctor.
* At the pharmacy.
* Walking in the city.
Required: Workbook 1
* Gerund and continuous present tense.
* Past tense of the verbs: ser, ir and dar.
* Past tense of regular verbs.
* Past tense of regular verbs due to spelling changeDirect and indirect object complement pronouns.
* La ciudad. (The city)
* Direcciones en la ciudad. (Addresses in the city)
* El banco. (The bank)
* Hablando por teléfono. (Speaking on the phone)
* ¿Qué estás haciendo? (What are you doing?)
* Cambiando un cheque en el banco. (Cashing a check at the bank.)
* Hablando con un ejecutivo en el banco. (Talking to an executive at the bank.)
* Diálogos breves por teléfono. (Short dialogues on the phone)
* Pidiendo información por teléfono. (Asking for information by phone.)
* Hablando al Laboratorio clínico. (Speaking to the Clinical Laboratory)
Required: Workbook 2
* Pronouns and reflexive verbs.
* Past tense of irregular verbs by vowel change.
* Past tense of irregular verbs due to a change in their root.
* Prepositions "por y para".
* Higiene personal. (Personal hygiene.)
* The hotel.
* Vacations. Travel and entertainment.
* The hospital.
* Registrándose en el hotel. (Checking in at the hotel.)
* Diálogos cortos en el hotel. (Short dialogues at the hotel.)
* Hablando de nuestras vacaciones. (Talking about our vacation.)
* Llegando al hospital a Urgencias 1 y 2. (Arriving at the hospital in ER 1 and 2.)
* Diálogo por teléfono: “Cambiando de doctor”. (Dialogue on the phone: "Changing doctors")
* Pidiendo una consulta en el hospital por teléfono. (Asking for an appointment at the hospital by phone.)
Required: Workbook 2